Wednesday 9 November 2022

Tutorial 8th November


Surprised myself when this photo was first opened. I had forgot that it's on my diary with its multicolour* 'Do sheet' (something I remember from Dixons days). 

This is a Lasercut panel for a coin acceptor. I have used the official product sheet to design the hole and the screw positions. Sadly it doesn't work as there is a very small screw that stops the coin acceptor mechanism being put in. Hence the little pencilled bit.

In the tutorial we discussed this coinbox at length. My impression was that, like an earlier tutorial, the person I'm talking to gets a bit excited about some of the machines - or their potential. I tried to insist that this is a prototype, it's just to get a feel for the mechanisms and to learn to program it. When I've done that, then I'll think about how to deploy it. Nevertheless, there were some intriguing suggestions and some real links with Natasha's tutorial yesterday. (See next post.)

As this was a new tutor, we also discussed things like 'Why are you here?" and my history. I guess that comes with being a bit older. It's a long story, but I try to keep it as short as possible. I don't always succeed...

He's interested in the Machine though. Thinks they offer some possibilities, makes some suggestions that I have heard before: "Simplify" "Show movement" "Less is more". These I should pay attention to, although the temptation is always to make things more complex and detailed. Perhaps I should take some older stuff in?

He also hesitantly asked if "arcade" was a good descriptor, I think imagining I would be upset/disturbed at that. Quite the opposite!

One final note: I did a quick survey today. Out of all the people I asked, none had any coins. That's going to make coin-op tricky!


*Each day is allocated a colour in turn. When I've completed something I colour it in. After a time I can see days that have been productive and days that are not. I can also see things that are being left out. Usually they need breaking down to smaller tasks - or just crossing out. Sounds efficient. Don't be fooled. If I had 'procrastination' and 'indecision' on the list, then I could colour in loads.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment