Thursday 17 November 2022

What are you going to do next? - Zac Bradley

Question I got asked in a tutorial this week and also when I met a friend who I hadn't seen for some while yesterday. Tricky one that. I don't know. I just know I don't want to be retired as such. I've looked over the edge and it looks a bit boring. Possibly nice for a short while but boring. 

In theory, had I graduated this summer last then I would be at a cross-roads anyway. Summer was dreadful, I considered for a long time not returning to University, I didn't get a good mark last semester and there was a shadow over if the SLE would 'loan' the fees. 

On the Proposal for this year I put illustrator. It's closer to home than perhaps what I would have liked, but I like drawing and doing things for people, and I like seeing my stuff in print. So with that in mind I am trying to reinvent myself both continuing as a graphic designer and producing illustration. CAP, I think, allows me to do that.

To that end I am looking again the processes of running  business, getting in work, establishing oneself as a brand, (not something I'm that comfortable with, I'm a bit 19th century there) building a website and pushing myself in various forms of social media.

I'm also on the lookout and reading books.

One I have found helpful is this one:


Although it's aimed at younger people that doesn't mean it's not relevant other than when they talk about 20-30 years time. I doubt if I will be doing anything when I get to a 100! But the advice is relevant, there's some insights that I haven't thought about and since I have freelanced for a number of years, things that I know to be true. It's not expensive, I might buy a copy - I have the library copy right now and Mrs Spicer will tell you we have more than enough books.



No comments:

Post a Comment