Monday 20 April 2020

Work in progress: Serene and Crucifixion icons

The photos here shows both of these at an early stage. Because I was using Inktense watercolour pencils for the colouring, I did them together as you have to factor in drying time. These pencils are permanent once they are draw which means that you can pain over them without the under colour running. However on wood they have two issues which lead me to repainting the almost the whole thing.

Issues

First issue: I'm used to drawing all over the place, hydrating the bits that I want and then, when dry, erasing the unwanted stuff. This didn't work, the pencil was a sod to remove from the primer anyway and it didn't erase at all from the depths of the grain.
Secondly, the colour didn't take the way I want and some of the colours - the red for example, were just wrong.
So in the end I want over the whole thing with proper paint. You can see the results here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment