Sunday 5 April 2020

Odd things I found while trying to set up a studio.

So I have a victorian mahogany table that is in dire need of some love. To be honest, if they were collecting I'd donate it to the local furniture charity - although it may be in too poor condition.
So I have pulled it apart to see if it's worth repairing. Just about, mainly because I haven't got the cash for a cheap table from Ikea or somewhere. Ikea is also closed.
The first thing I found was this MH chalking on the bottom, - actually there's two - this was done by me when I was five or six - I'm guessing - my brother and I used to pretend we were mice and hide under the table while our Mother chased us. Cute huh?

More interestingly, there's this set of marks underneath. The table originally extended to double its length. This was so you could seat up to ten people. There were two extra pieces that slotted in. To do that there was a long screw that ran the length of the table underneath. I can vaguely recall my Dad removing this. 

There are several bodges underneath, probably his handiwork. My DIY skills are pretty terrible, but my Dad's were non-existent. I recall a home filled with half done project and holes. 



One of the legs


Here's a picture of the underside. You can see the damaged wood. I'm going to have one go a fixing it and then it's break up and reuse (unless the furniture project want it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment