Tuesday 28 April 2020

Eight songs for John Wood.

For JW, a list of the eight songs/albums for a Desert Island. Note you click the headings to take you to recording.

Layla • Derek and the Dominos

Reminds me of summer 1971. Her name was Claire, she was an actress. Went on to be famous. As soon as I hear the opening notes I'm transported back to the YMCA, Portsmouth, and her. 

Purple Haze • Tangerine Dream version 220 volt Live

I have listened to Tangerine Dream since getting their first album and playing it very loud. This is actually very straight for them. Most of it is experimental electronic. But this is, for me, better than Hendrix.

Joy • After the Fire

I've known Peter Banks the keyboards player since I was a teenager. Still know him. This was the song they opened their gigs with. It still gives a thrill. I photographed them, and loads of other bands at the time, including many punk bands. Unfortunately I lost most of the negatives many years ago.

Children of the Grave • Black Sabbath

Been a Sabbath fan for years, second or third album I brought. Not sure what my missionary parents thought of it. Probably they thought it wise not to comment. Was challenged at a bike show years ago "C'mon, you're one of those God-botherers, choose a Sabbath song. (Big grin on DJ's face!) . Choose this song. Pretty good message I thought, shows Ozzie's background.



42nd Street
My favourite 1930s musical. Lots of competition, but I think this sequence sums up the era. Magic. 



No More Heroes • Stranglers
Another one that sums up a time in life.



Electricity • Captain Beefheart
Took some time to get into the Captain fully, but the strange vocals, the druggie sounds, and his manic voice.



Aqua • Edgar Frose
Firstly, to get the full effect, you need to listen on headphones. Frose was a pioneer in binaural recording and this is the first one he did. It's all about experimentation, pushing boundaries. Which we all need to do.



Also ran close...


These were considered.

Can't you hear the song they're singing. Jeremy Spencer and the Children

So, in my teens I joined what would be known as a cult later and not a good one. But my time there was mostly positive but I left when the clouds began to darken the skys. Jeremy Spencer also joined and did this album. The song takes me back to those days when things were black and white and simple. Sometimes I miss that.


Something from an Organ

I get this from my Father, who loved organ music. We had a small one at home. I never learned to play not, and to be honest he wasn't an expert. But organ music is still one of the classical forms that I find deeply moving - especially in the right situation. Caterbury Cathedral is one place.


This is pretty good as well..

No comments:

Post a Comment