Monday 30 March 2020

Stations of the Cross

So, last week we had to look at some writing, and make a critical evaluation. For the second time, I discovered what I already knew, which was that religion (any) and contemporary art don't mix. Which was co-incidental since I saw a small illuminated sculpture that inspired me to think about journeys and that led to the stations of the cross.
Stations of the Cross is a traditional telling of the journey of Jesus from the garden to resurrection. I liked the idea of little sculptures with streets inside them that would record that journey - as if on a history walk or something similar.
The image below is a partially worked first go. I'm not sure if I will carry on, use a different story - this one is hard to tell without people or other signifiers - or just move on.

15 boxes, each with a little street scene inside.

Here's the finished drawing:












This was to be a ceramic sculpture illustrating the stations of the cross, the ceramics were to be little sculptures of street scenes, but without people. I had seen another ceramic which seemed to achieve what I was hoping for.  However, during a HACS session on spirituality and art I discovered that it has been done before and was not considered effective. Reflecting on this, I attempted the drawing above, but realise the criticism would still be partially valid, so the practical side was abandoned.

Here's the ceramic, picture doesn't quite read - but it looks like a long corridor with stairs at the end. Very clever! Sorry, couldn't find out who made it.




Elkins, J. (2004) ‘A very brief history of religion in Art’ in On the strange place of religion in contemporary art, London: Routledge, pp. 5-20.

No comments:

Post a Comment