Saturday 17 September 2016

Using tea to antique paper.

My mantra for design students is "Never start with a clean sheet of paper".

That works on two levels - firstly it's a reminder to always do the research, finding out, seeing what's gone before, at the beginning of a new endeavour. In other words learn from others.

The other level is literal. Actually start with a messed up page and draw into it. Last week I gave each student a messed up stained, antiqued, sheet of paper and asked them to draw on it. Incidentally, I also made them do a drawing on a napkin. Fuzzy drawing.

This post is how to produce that stained effect. Obvious once you know how, but anyway:

Here's the sheet of Canson watercolour paper and a Daler-Rowney sketchbook. To be honest the paper isn't that important - although the Canson paper is twice the weight of the sketchbook.
I have prepared two cups of tea. The one on the right I shall drink in due course - it's PG tips. The onion the left in my brand new mug is Redbush  Redbush gives a warmer tone than PG. I've tried lots of different teas, they all give different effects. Posh Earl Grey with big leaves gives a sensational texture and the smell lives on.

Here's the paper on a board. Ideally this would be glass, but this will work almost as well. Incidentally, the colours are all a bit weird because it's just gone 6.00am.

I've used hot water from the kettle to soak both side of the sheet of paper. I won't be doing that with the sketchbook, because it will ruin it. This process will remove any sizing in the paper.

Here it is, soaked.

Now I've poured the Redbush on it from the mug.  That's the teabag at the top. I'll use that in a moment. I've coated both sides. The tea will probably not soak all the way through unless I leave it soaking for hours.

The teabag is torn open and the leaves scattered all over the paper. This will give little hotspots. You could also try sprinkling salt in places - works well if you try this with watercolour paint.

Now it's the sketchbook's turn. I'm not going to soak the pages this time as it will ruin the book. This time I have used the teabag like a brush, squeezing the cold tea out and then using the bag to spread it evenly. But not that evenly.

Once agin, the teabag is split open and the leaves spread over.

The book is closed and I have used a two litre drink bottle to apply some weight. Otherwise the vicious curl in the paper will stop the tea leaves from making their mark.

Three hours later - here's the result. Paper is really curly. You can try ironing it, works a bit. I usually just let it relax over time. It will never be 100% flat - but that's part of the charm!

The Canson paper isn't dry yet, although it's shaping up nicely.

Will probably take some time. It's important to check it through, otherwise it may end up sticking to wood.  I'll add picture when it's dry.







Final results


Sketchbook, scanned, no colour correction. Although I will use the scanned image somewhere I will probably warm it up a little - sometimes it looks like weak chocolate or flesh. I may add some grain.

Almost certainly I will crop it again to to remove the dark strip on left hand side, which is a shadow from scanning. Incidentally both scans are 600dpi and 48bit.
Carson paper, scanned, no colour correction. Fairly pleased with results. Canson paper has strange mark on middle left. (Click to enlarge) Think this is fine dust from the tea pay that has floated to the top and then dried out. I quite like it, but might use Photoshop to remove it when I use the scan for something.


















No comments:

Post a Comment