Wednesday 13 April 2011

WestFest - the map is finally drawn!

52 hours of my life, three sheets of A2 cartridge paper, Inktense pencils, various fine pens, glue and three teabags = WestFest map. This is the bottom corner. On the instance on my son, I did 2mm caricatures of some of the people likely to be there on the streets, plus the traditional self-portrait. Not that anyone will be able to see them.

The maps about four times bigger than this bit, although this is the more interesting corner.

I mainly used Derwent Inktense watercolour pencils for the colouring. These are waterproof once they have been made wet and dried again; so you can draw over the top without disturbing the colour below. This illustration used quite a lot of pencil, so I'm going to have to buy some more soon.

The paper I use is normal cartridge but I stain it with cold tea to give it an aged appearance before I start.

Once the illustration is finished it is scanned and then sometimes tidied up in Adobe Photoshop. I try to keep this to a minimum other than preparing it for print, in this illustration I did use Photoshop to add to the large estate on the right of the picture. I also used it to add the caricatures as mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment